Monday, June 13, 2011

Because I'm a big believer in telling the truth.

I'll ease into my shocking fashion secret by telling you I bought this awesomesauce bracelet from J.Crew yesterday. When it comes to jewelry, I'm a bracelet girl all the way. The more embellished, the better. Keep your huge, heavy necklaces and oversized earrings that get caught in your hair... bring on the wrist candy and I'm one happy lady.

And now for the embarrassing admittance...

My name is Alaina. 
I am 25 years old. 
And I still buy my jeans from Abercrombie.

Before you quit me and this blog altogether, hear me out. In a world where a comfortable, stretchy, great-fitting pair of ladies' jeans runs you anywhere from $150-$250, I find the reasonable $78 price tag on my A&F's Erin Skinny jeans very appealing. Not to mention, I've owned my fair share of Sevens, Citizens, Joe's, and most recently J Brand, and they all get holes in them. I swear, I don't know if I'm sitting cross-legged or doing lunges without being cognizant of it, or maybe I just walk funny and my hips are too narrow, but they all end up wearing in and eventually tearing just below the butt, along the inseam. (This is my discreet way of saying inner thigh area.) Does anyone else have this problem? I've seen plenty of skinny-minnie ladies (my own sister included) who have this happen also, so I'm pretty confident it's not a weight issue (I hope). But I don't know what's causing it! Either way, it happens regularly. $150 on jeans down the drain within eight months. But not my cheapo Abercrombie's! No siree! They have never once failed me. No rips, very little wear, very little fading. And they last this way for years. I also know there are other options for under $100 - I've tried J.Crew, Gap, and other retailers, but none of them fit right. So despite all the ridiculousness that the A&F brand represents, if I have to drive 45 minutes out to the suburbs (because there isn't a single store in downtown Chicago) to get myself an affordable pair of great-fitting denim, so be it.

And now we've all learned a little bit about me today. How was your weekend?

*Allow me to clarify, my 'embarrassment' stems not from shopping on a budget - I'm all for that! - but rather the reputation the store has garnered from their blatant promotion of selling teeny, tiny revealing clothing to tweens (yeah, like we need more of that in America), the excessive splattering of their brand name across all their products, and their absurd method of selling clothing by using mostly naked models.
**Second side note, apparently there is an A&F in the Water Tower Building downtown. But Chicago tax is cruel, so to the 'burbs I will go.

28 comments:

  1. well, not embarrassing at all lovely! great looking jeans, love the dark wash! and fabulous bracelet! xoxo

    http://some-kind-of-style.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been ogling the same bracelet for a bit! I love JCrew's accessories because I think they're good looking and well priced. I don't judge, especially on jeans. With my thighs I take them from wherever I can find ones that fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I definitely can't judge you. I have the HARDEST time finding jeans that fit me right - I have a weird hip to butt to thigh ratio - and Deliah's jeans are the ones that fit me the best. They're really cute, and they last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you got me curious about these AF jeans. I am kinda over the expensive denim thing. Thanks for the tip...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I buy jeans from American Eagle for the same reason. Or rather, I bought jeans from American Eagle about four years ago and haven't replaced them because I haven't found a better fitting, longer lasting alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey hun! Love those jeans, I might need to try my own pair myself next time. Also, did you know about the AF in Water Tower? It might be easier to get to than the one in the burbs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i kinda love this post! whatever lady, theres no shame in buying AF jeans. if they work for you that's all that matters. i'll confess i feel awkward when im walking around forever21 and theres pre-teens w braces holding the same dress that i want to try on...o well. AND my fave shorts this season are from AE of all places. they were cheap and they are SO comfy (and surprisingly not booty shorts). so keep on keeping on and wear what works for you. like that fantastic bracelet :) xo jillian:: ps im hosting a judy kaufmann print giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the honesty. I think the fit is most important and if you find a pair that fit, rock it. I love me some arm candy as well, I actually did a post on it this very topic today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i gave up on expensive jeans because i also didn't feel like it was worth it!! especially when they less expensive ones look just as good, and last longer! Gap's "always skinny" style is my pick, though! glad you found one that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE!!! Ain't no shame!!! Some of my favorite sandals are form F21...a version of a more expensive pair...and WTF i don't care....

    And there used to be a AF in Water Tower...did it close?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the same problem!! And I have such a hard time finding jeans, I'll have to try on some A&F jeans! Don't be embarrassed at all! You gotta stick with what works sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha, this is a great post! Although I've had a pair or two of Seven's, Citizen's etc... my stand by is American Eagle. And no, it's not a weight related problem... I like to think of it as a token of how active I am, that and my soccer player thighs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had that exact same problem! My favorite jeans (from a thrift store in Austin) have been re-crotched at least twice. My seamstress aka grandma thinks I'm crazy.

    www.mimosasnthemorning.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your honesty! This problem has definitely appeared in my life also. I have paid high prices for Hudsons that seem to tear like paper within 6 months.. not good! I will have to check out A & F :) Thanks for the insight!!

    http://creativecoutureblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. you want to know where I buy mine? Hollister, aha! oh yes! and love them. I have tried all the big brands, and loved some hated others but agree with you, they get holes down there so sorry but NOT worth iT! I love my skinnies fro Hollister, best jeans ever. AND Im older tan you as you know!

    ReplyDelete
  16. No judgement here! Love me some American Eagle skinny jeans...$45!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha Alaina, you're funny! I used to wear their jeans but now I just can't bear to get into those stores with that LOUD music and dark spaces, I mean, I can't even tell what I'm grabbing! Well, maybe it's because I'm no longer in my 20's but I just can't stand shopping there! I admire you get in there! and I don't judge you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. No shame! I feel the same way about my Old Navy Jeans and I adore them!!

    You should also try places like Marshall's-- you can get them even cheaper than A&F!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! Now, I'm going to go to AF and try some. I need a new pair or 3 of jeans but like everyone else The hefty price tag is no longer appealing...too many other things in life I wish to do and at the moment can't pay for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Girlfriend, if you can find a great pair of jeans that you love, then by all means go for it no matter where you get it! :) I'm still searching for a truly perfect pair...

    ReplyDelete
  21. First, love the bracelet. I trend to wear them more in the summer when they can been seen. Second, the jean look great and the price--also great. If it works, stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know exactly what you mean about the jeans! My jeans tend to have that same issue lately (and like you, I'm pretty sure it's not me!). I've been searching for a fantastic pair too! Maybe I'll try your Abercrombies...

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE that bracelet! I buy jeans from UO for the same reason! I don't know what it is about expensive jeans ripping, but I now own more $150 diy cut offs than I care to have!

    ReplyDelete
  24. YES!!! I have had two pair of dojos get holes exactly where you described! AWKWARD. And for that reason I also now am back on jeans from abercrombie and gap. I feel really good about it except the smell of abercrombie perfume is a little overwhelming at first on the jeans but once it wears off they are golden!

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL, I LOVE this post, and I so understand you! The same thing happens to me all the time. And I´m not even speaking about my problems to find a well fitting pair in the abundance of those cut for size not zero, but minus two! I couldn´t tell how HAPPY I was whe I discovered Levi´s Bold Curve cut: for the first time in my life I had a pair of jeans that just fitted! No need to tell that I went home with 5 pairs :) So if you love your A&F, go for it :)

    xx Ivana
    http://styleinthecityen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG yes! always rip! i thought it was mE!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ha! You're so funny, I love your discreet way of saying inner thigh area! Well I'm so happy you said this because that has happened to me with two pairs (that I wore to death) and I threw them away and told no one! I'm so glad I'm not the only one!! I've been buying Levis from the juniors department at Macys (I had not done so since middle school) and they're only $30-something/pair and wonderful! I just discovered your blog via The Glitter Guide, love it!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin