Friday, June 24, 2011

Two years ago, I started a blog.

 

It's a funny thing when inspiration chooses to strike. You cannot will it any more than you can will the words onto a page. For me, it was June 13, 2009. I was in a hotel on Lakeshore Drive. An illuminated sign hung on the wall of the quirkily decorated room reading "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." That was it. Something about those words - words I had undoubtedly heard before - suddenly meant something to me. It was like someone finally spoke what I'd been needing to hear, and I could let out a sigh of relief. I was 23. Living at home. Without a clue as to what I wanted to do with my life. And for the first time, I thought to myself, You have nothing to worry about. You'll figure this out. Just do what you love.

The next morning I sat down at my desk, opened a Blogger account, and wrote my first post. It read: "As a 23-year-old more than a year out of college, who works from home (albeit I love my job) and is constantly thinking about the next step in life - only to come up with a million different options - this quotation hit home. When I consider all the things I love to read about, spend my time on, discuss with others, waste a weekend doing... the list is so diverse and disparate, I have a difficult time boiling "what I want to do with my life" down to one job title. But if there is ONE COMMON THREAD that eclipses all others, it is my love for design."

So I began posting every day. I didn't know where starting a blog would lead me or if it would amount to anything or if it would end up more like an ill-fated diet plan that fizzles after two weeks. I just knew I had to do it. I knew I needed a place that would allow me to embrace my love of design. A forum where I could discuss everything I love from art and photography, to interiors and traveling. A task that would keep me writing every day. I needed to find like-minded individuals who would also smile at the beauty of a simple photograph, appreciate the harmony of two perfectly juxtaposed fonts, or take in even the smallest details of a thoughtfully designed room. I wanted to meet ambitious, talented women who would inspire me. I wanted to grow and move a little farther down the path of figuring out who I am and what I could be.

Now, two years later, since starting Live Creating Yourself, since that disheartening night as a confused, worried 23-year-old wondering what I should be doing with my life, I look back at all that has happened over the past twenty-four months, and I'm floored.

Since June 18, 2008, I have:
- worked exhaustively with three other young women to launch what is now one of the most successful online magazines
- attended my own launch party at the New York City Design Center
- attended other magazines' launch parties and design-related events in NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco
- traveled to both coasts to style and work on photo shoots with several top-notch photographers including Jamie Beck, Emily Anderson, Leslie Williamson, and Werner Straube
- met my two idols: Alex Bates and Jenna Lyons
- befriended dozens of inspirational women of all ages from all over the world who have started their own businesses, launched their own websites, designed their own handbag lines, founded their own magazines, began their own interior design companies, moved across the country or world to follow their dreams... the list goes on!
- launched my own freelance business, LCYgraphics, which has allowed me to help other women get their blogs and businesses off the ground
- launched my own online shop
- and now most recently, I've been offered the opportunity to work as a contributing market editor for a major Chicago magazine.

I mean... wow. It's been a crazy ride. To think a girl from Chicago without a single connection to call on has been able to do so many incredible things because of this brilliant albeit unusual network we have is like a dream come true. And of course I don't mean to list these things to boast. I simply can't wrap my head around the quantity and quality of opportunities that have come up from the seemingly simple decision to start a blog. And I am so so grateful. I am grateful for all of you who have made LCY and me a part of your daily routine. I am grateful to all of you who take the time to comment and let me know how your days are, where your thoughts are, or send a message of support my way. I am so grateful to have met all of the talented, inspiring people I have. I am grateful that this site keeps pushing me to do more, want more, take the next step.

And I am grateful that any time it feels like I'm still wandering without a path, I have this list to keep me grounded in knowing that whatever is meant to happen will happen. I just have to keep doing what I love.

Happy Weekend, everyone.
photo source

27 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You truly have come so far and give me such inspiration! Great post again!

    www.mimosasnthemorning.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Alaina! This post gave me chills. A million congratulations to you, your blog is so inspiring along with your passion and drive to create! Thank you for all of your help throughout the past year, I am looking forward to opportunities to come! I love stopping by everyday and so look forward to your stylish and sophisticated posts. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! Congrats on all your accomplishments and all your future endeavors. After, almost two years, lcy is still the first blog on my blogroll that I read each morning. Each post, more beautiful and inspirational than the last. All the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing two years its been for you. Congratulations. Blogging has the ability to provide us with so many incredible opportunities!! So happy to have met you through it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations dear! What an exciting journey! Looking forward to hearing what's in store for you next. Best of luck, always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! So great. I've been blogging for a little over a year now about my life/weekend adventures for freinds and family afar. But just THIS month I started an all house related blog. I don't know what I'm doing or where it will take me, but I'm just going to start writing about the things I love and why. And of course include before and afters of our abode while I'm at it. Our 1960 ranch has come a long way since we closed on it one year ago. :)

    Thanks for sharing your story. It's very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well done Alaina, follow your dream, you deserve all the good things coming to you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful post alaina, and truly inspirational. i have been following you for just a short while and already i come to your blog as a sort of ultimate design reference. i truly LOVE your style!
    keep doing what you love, as you can see it has paid off!
    xoxo
    mariss

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Alaina! I have always been so proud of you and confident that you would be successful. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! That is truly amazing and wonderful. This is a lovely post. Congrats again on this lovely blog and all of your other amazing accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! You deserve every bit of success that comes your way. Your talent, passion and drive will continue to take you far. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing two years, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on all of your amazing accomplishments! It truly is amazing what all a simple blog can do for one's life! Thanks for sharing :)

    Have a lovely weekend!

    Caroline
    http://charmingcoutureblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your blog and I feel grateful that we were able to meet last year. Here's to many more happy blogging years! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You rock. And on behalf of many blogging readers like myself, we are so glad you started your journey a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats Alaina, you have accomplished so much! Every morning I look forward to reading your posts ;)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read your blog almost everyday and you have so much to be proud of. Many people have benefited from your journey. Thank you, Alaina.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations, Alaina! That is wonderful news! I'm just hoping to get into a habit of posting regularly on my blog. C:

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it's really cool that you took the time to step back and reflect on how far you've come. Sometimes just making a list of your accomplishments is all it takes. I'm often curious about how things came to be for popular bloggers out there.

    Doing something as simple as starting a blog doesn't always equal success, but when it does, it's magical. Congratulations on your hard work paying off. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have a really fantastic story and you should be so proud of everything you've accomplished! As a girl who is almost done with her college career, I'm nervous for the future, but reading your blog and hearing your story is a real inspiration to me and I know that everything will be ok in the end. Thanks so much for blogging everyday! I love reading and seeing your awesome style!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! What an amazing story. All the best for the next stage in your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! You have truly accomplished a TON these past 2 years and should be proud of yourself. Your blog is a constant source of inspiration to us all...keep it up lady!

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for being such an inspiration and motivation for many who are trying to do the same with their lives! Love your work!

    Caterine
    730design.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE this post! I am 23 looking for some direction in my life, & just started a blog :)

    http://ashtonscraftycreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. We love you, Alaina! Congratulations to you for everything you've accomplished. So much love and support for you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I Love your blog. It is such an inspiration and something to aspire to. You should be very proud of your achievements

    Amy (Mummy & Mimi)

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are such an inspiration...Starting a blog is one of my dreams so hearing all your accomplishments is really eye opening. Congrats on being so fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin