Friday, May 28, 2010

Let's discuss my dining room.

I've come to realize I never gave you all the goods on how I put together my dining room. Like the rest of my apartment, it was done on the cheap, so I'd like to think it's worth sharing the deets (that's details for you lay-folk). And now that some new changes are taking place in that room of the house, I figured I could share it all with you now. Better late than never!

Above is the room as it looked before we moved in. The color wasn't half-bad, but it was going to be repainted by the landlord anyway, and as you all know, he let me choose the new color.

I went with Behr's Dolphin Grey, which you'll notice is the color of every room in the apartment.

And here's the room all dolled up - fresh flowers and place settings (not the norm). I had to spruce the place up for the photoshoot I did when Jen Ramos of MadeByGirl asked to feature my home on her wildly popular blog.

But you see that big floor mirror back there in between the windows and wall sconces? (It's Ikea's Mongstad, no longer available in that color, apparently.)

You may have noticed it's been relocated. A room-sized dressing room needs a mirror of equal stature, don't cha know? Plus I thought it was a tad too small for the dining room wall it was on so it all works out.

Moving along in the story... my dad asked me if I'd want this family heirloom that had been sitting in storage. We affectionately call it "the treasure chest" - you can see why - and knowing that my great-grandparents came over with it from Poland via Ellis Island, I said "Hells yes, I want it!" and did a little happy dance. This was before I moved the mirror into my dressing room, however, so it just sat in a corner, all by its lonesome, out of place with no one to admire it.

Well, the mirror is gone and the chest is in its new home. I like how its directly across the room from the entry table, which looks like two old suitcases stacked on top of one another (it's actually one piece of furniture).

Alas, now we are left with a big blank wall above the chest.

So here are some options...

gallery wall w/ 9 smaller prints still yet to be determined

gallery wall w/ 4 slightly larger prints still yet to be determined

VOTE HERE

Monday will be part 2 of the dining room series; I'll reveal where I found the table and how I made-over the dining chairs. Ooo exciting stuff.

-A

17 comments:

  1. Love it! That heirloom is gorgeous! I placed my vote for the European Destinations posters...but really I LOVE all the options. Can't wait to see what you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun trunk! I've been on a chest kick myself.

    so this is my two cents. Since you have a single print over your expedit, why not mix it up with a gallery wall over the trunk?

    Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how obsessed Im over your home, its actually one of my favorites, yesterday while looking for home office inspiration I went straight to yours! the dininf room is gorgeous, thanks for all the details love the dining table! i would love the 4 prints idea.
    btw, thank you so much for the desk advice, im not looking for the perfect one as a nightstand combo and will probably go for the victoria ghost chair which takes a bit less space, I found a vintage white painted desk and that might do the trick! but now i feel like painting our chest of draws white too but i have never done something like that before and I'm a bit scared, not very DIY here :D oooh we'll see, thanks!!!
    have a lovely weekend!! xoxo
    ps: a chest from Poland, ok absolutely fabulous and absolutely filled with memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous dining room! Love your style.

    www.audreyonassis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the chest! I'd go with the European Destinations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would definitely go with the 4 pictures above the chest! Love what you've done with the place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the wall color- such a chic dining room!

    I voted for April in Paris!

    Enjoy the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dining room looks so nice! I LOVE the trunk you got, that is beyond cool that your great-grandparents used that when they came over from Poland, what a cool thing to have in your house now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of the options, but my favorite would be the European Destinations poster. I like that it adds a graphic touch to the room and balances out the feminine quality of the sconces. I also like the idea of doing nine framed prints.

    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of the options, but my favorite would be the European Destinations poster. I like that it adds a graphic touch to the room and balances out the feminine quality of the sconces. I also like the idea of doing nine framed prints.

    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I voted for the European Destinations poster, but all of the options are going to be fabulous!

    LOVE your dining room ~ thanks for sharing the deets! ;)

    Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i voted for the April in Paris...I think it would be nice on that wall!
    love the dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the gray walls, and love your treasure chest!

    I am so jealous of your dressing room. It looks amazing.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks fantastic, clever you! I'd go for the European Destinations or Paris in April poster!

    ps Comments are working perfectly now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That full length black mirror is such a great Ikea find, be proud my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know this is an old post, but I'm curious about the legs you put on the ikea bookcase to make the bar stand. I love it, but not really sure how that's done. Advice?

    ReplyDelete
  17. In the pics the mirror didnt look too small, and I noticed you have prints on almost every wall between the two rooms so I say you do some kind of mirror! Or flip what's on the opposite wall and put a mirror there so it reflex light and looks bigger!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin