Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Thrift Dresser Makeover



The apartment I currently live in is quite spacious. Considering the fact it has two bedrooms and an office, you'd think there'd be better closet space. But my closet is the closet in the second bedroom. Kind of pain, yes. But remember when I told you that there's really no use for a second bedroom (since there is also an office), and that I might turn that space into my very own closet/dressing room? Well, I have done just that. But you have to wait until tomorrow to see it.

For the first three months of living here, I kept all of my jeans, sweats, and T's in a suitcase on the floor of that room. A new dresser was not in the budget. I looked, and looked, and looked, and the cheapest thing I could find was $300 at Ikea and that was still more than I wanted to spend.

Eventually, I found the old beauty (pictured above) at my favorite Chicago thrift store (Brown Elephant on Halsted, north of Addison) and bargained it down to $45 from $60. It has three HUGE, deep drawers, exactly like I wanted, and I loved the vintage detailing and the design of the wood at the bottom. I covered the brass bits of the handles with blue tape and attacked it with my favorite glossy white spray paint. BIG mistake. I don't have a photo, but the wood was so dry, the paint started seeping into the cracks and dripping down the sides. I think the cold temperatures had something else to do with it. I thought I'd ruined it. But as it turns out, the old fella just needed some primer.


So prime I did. Two coats. After sanding off most of the spray paint that was still on the top. It wasn't so bad... I don't know why I always feel like skipping this step.


Then I painted it using a brush, not with spray paint. I went with some glossy white paint, and voila! Good as new. Kind of. There is a glitch at the top and the drawers don't close as smoothly as I'd like. But for $55 (dresser + paint), I'm happy.


The inside of the drawers were pretty grimy so I vacuumed them, washed them, and lined them with this zebra wrapping paper I bought on sale a while back from the Container Store. Notice the jewelry tray on the inside of the drawer? They just don't make 'em like they used to.


And here's how it is now in my dressing room.

There will be one more Sneak Peak this afternoon before the big Dressing Room reveal tomorrow!

Check back at 2pm EST today to see more.

14 comments:

  1. do you know what i was most excited to see in your first picture?! snow!!!
    living in sydney australia seeing snow around someones home is a total novelty as its something that will never happen to me! I went to seattle for xmas this year & sadly we didnt get a white xmas! btw cant beive you have a dressing room you lucky duck! will check back in the morning (aussie time) to see the rest!
    sal x
    www.oncedailychic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Refurbishing an old piece of furniture is on my to-do list this summer and it will most likely end up being a dresser seeing as my new apartment is also low on closet space, I'm thinking maybe doing something two-toned (black and white because my entire bedroom is black and white). I will be calling you for your expertise when I find the right dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dresser looks great. I cant wait to see the big reveal later today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dresser looks really good. If you want a smooth finish and don't want to use spray paint try a roller brush. I repainted my coffee table and a roller helps things to go a smoothly--no brush marks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dresser, and the zebra paper liner! Stunning! Great find and fantastic job re-purposing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this project! I already told M that I want one the three extra bedrooms in the new house to be for my shoes. I'm not sure he thinks I'm entirely serious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alaina! I'm in love. So so cute, and you are so lucky to have a dressing room. Poor Nate in the pantry :) I'm tackling my boring white builder closet by lining the backs of the shelves with a pretty paper and doing some serious organization... I'm sure yours will be beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dresser looks great - love the zebra paper. What girl wouldn't want a room to be her closet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did an awesome job revamping the dresser Of course I love the animal print paper inside the drawer. I am not in position to by new furniture either so you have given me some inspiration! Thank you for sharing, I can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks so great i love it! i know what you mean about spray paint.. I actually hate it for furniture! Did you put polyacrylic on the top for a top coat? if not i strongly recommend it it makes it a little shiny and totally protects it from chips and dings.

    www.bazaarofserendipity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Question for you . . . where is your favorite Chicago Thrift store? I am always looking for good places to go! TIA.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work! I've done the same thing with our second bedroom. Can't wait for the full reveal!x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I CANT WAIT! a whole room!?? OOOH MY! so jealous it's going to be sooo amazing I can feel it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so appreciate your thriftiness in refurbishing ~ it's admirable that you wait to find furniture that's in your budget and then turn rooms into great livable spaces that you would never guess were originally thrifted! Very crafty :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin