Thursday, May 20, 2010

Looks Like I Have a Wedding to Plan!

And before I go any further... no, no, no it is not my wedding! My sister, Andrea, and her fiance Paul will be getting married! Oh, and did I mention the wedding is in July? THIS July. Oh, and did I mention I am planning the ENTIRE thing? AND hosting the bachelorette party? AND hosting the wedding shower? Yea. I'm pretty awesome like that.

That's them. Too cute.

First I have to catch you up. They've been engaged for almost month. I think. The good news is the wedding will be muy pequeño. Immediate family only for a total of 19 people. Good thing we're crazy fun. Or so I've been told. It's going to be on the beach in Michigan, and we're going for a casual, beachy, pretty feel with a good amount of DIY decor to boot (thanks to the many charming, DIY weddings I've seen on blogs and fallen in love with). And you'll be impressed to know we've already picked out the location (sneak peak in the photo above), the photographer, the music, the centerpieces, and the dress. That's right. The dress. But I'll save that for later. Let's have a look at the centerpieces, shall we?

One thing was certain from the beginning. We wanted the centerpieces to be flowers in mason jars which I find to be the most charming and perfect piece for a casual, outdoor summer wedding. The original plan was to have a mass of blue hydrangeas a la this Connecticut wedding I featured shortly after starting LCY, and the mason jars would be clear. So essentially it would be a blend of the centerpieces in these two photos:

bunches of blue hydrangeas...

...in clear mason jars.

Alas, the plan changed once we got estimates back from a florist - why does blue have to be the most expensive hydrangea? I tell ya...

Good thing my mom's endless knowledge of flowers came into play. She suggested white flowers. I was stuck on blue seeing as it was a beach wedding by the water. Turns out there are BLUE mason jars. Vintage ones. And they are heaven. And they're available for crazy cheap in the Matt and Laura Jones Etsy shop. (I noticed these babies retail for $18 a piece at the boutique thrift stores I was at this weekend in Andersonville. We got ours for $5 a piece.) Win, win, win!

Here are a few inspirational photos for good measure:




So in lieu of blue hydrangeas in clear mason jars, the new plan is white flowers in blue mason jars. A simple switcharoo that saves big dollars! My mom tried out a few sample arrangements when we went to her house for Mother's Day. I think they are B-E-A-UUUTIFUL!

hydrangeas (still my fave)

white stock

lisianthus

Queen Anne's lace, delphinium, and tea roses

So as of today, we are going with the hydrangeas, lisianthus, and stock, as shown above.
Lovely, yes?

Stay tuned. More details to follow!

23 comments:

  1. Fantastic post! Can't wait to follow you as you plan the wedding! With your good taste, it's sure to be a beauty! Congrats to Andrea and Paul!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your sister! Love the centerpieces. I can't wait to hear more about the wedding planning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was engaged and married in 4 months back in 1999 and everything was just perfect. It can be done! Best of luck and congratulations to your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I love the inspiration and can't wait to see how it turns out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why thank you everyone! I couldn't be more thrilled to have my talented sister basically plan the entire thing...she is clearly much better with this sort of thing than I am....the tom-boy-ish sister :)

    Love you Lains!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!!!

    Oh my gosh, July is QUICK, but I know you guys are going to plan something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like fun (albeit a bit stressful, right?!) I'm planning my own wedding and I have the help of my mother and friends but I'd sure be greatful to have a sister like you to do all that stuff and enjoy it! Congrats and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot believe you are pulling together a wedding in 3 months, I do not care HOW many people are attending...Which by the way, this intimate cozy affair sounds like a dream. Cannot WAIT to see the pictures, judging by the flowers it is going to be beautiful. Lucky sissy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a good sister!! And I love the blue jars and white flowers. The centerpieces will be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The flowers will be lovely, fitting for a beautiful bride. It's so much fun to help plan your wedding Andrea.
    Love you girls,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. absolutely stunning - flowers in mason jars (especially hydrangeas!) are a FAVORITE of mine! very much looking forward to what else you ladies come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We ordered our flowers from fiftyflowers.com and flowersandfreshness.com and did all the arranging ourselves. We used carnations because I loooove the papery look of their petals. They were amazing! And the service at those two sites is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats to the bride and groom to be! Im sure you will do an amazing work!! 1000% sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a wonderful and romantic idea! Go on with your bad self! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE the white hydrangeas. LOVE the blue mason jars. Love that the Kaz sister with a passion for this type of thing is leading the charge and documenting the planning. I assume Andrea will be channeling her creative strengths and putting together the music.

    Good luck! Can't wait to see how everything comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you're either insane, totally ambitious, or the most awesome sister in the world! I love the blue mason jars. I think the rope around the bottom of the jar would be awesome!
    Lila Ferraro
    Queen Bedroom Sets

    ReplyDelete
  17. You may have a new career as a speedy wedding planner! I love the blue jars with the hydrangeas. Perfect!

    PS--You and your sister look lots alike, from the photo at least.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Blue Hydrangeas - so classy and elegant and provides just the right amount of colour! I have a post about hydrangeas on my blog - there are a few wedding decor ideas as well - check it out:
    http://renata-beautyandelegance.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. How exciting! I wish I had your help. I love the look of the blue mason jars as centerpieces. The blue Hydrangeas are so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hydrangeas are my fav too! Congrats, I'm sure you will do an awesome job Alaina!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats to your sister. I am sure it will be an awesome wedding. Love the flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats to your sis! How exciting! excited to see what you do! I'm sure it will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats!! Wow, very nice center peices, which could also be used around the house..plus! :))

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin