Wednesday, May 12, 2010

New Apartment: My Very Own Dressing Room



Before you read on, there are a couple things you should know about this space:
  1. It is small, and we really didn't need a queen bed taking up most of the extra room. We don't have guests that often.
  2. This room sat as a storage space the first month we lived here. Then it held my suitcase and I hung a small, crappy mirror from Target on the wall so I could actually see what I looked like when trying on outfits. Yes, I still try on outfits.
  3. You'll notice a few of the items from other rooms in the house, notably the lamp from the bedroom, the floor mirror from the dining room, and the small table, also from my bedroom. Well, the lamp is a stand-in until I buy a new one, the mirror fits this space much better (it was too small for the wall it was on in the dining room so I am planning for something else in that space), and I purchased a new night table for my bedroom a while back (also from the same thrift store) and this antique marble-top table hasn't had a home since then.
Without further ado, I present my dressing room:

Above left: The room as it looked on my first visit to the apartment.
Above right: How the room looked pre-move in with a fresh coat of Behr's Dolphin Grey (the same color in every other room of the apartment).

My dressing room as it is now.
It's more a shoe collection with a dresser than anything else. The actual closet is the door to the left of the window. It's small. Like most apartment closets. I'm really not ridiculous. We had no other use for this room. A guest room would get used a few weekends a year and Nate thought it was too dark to be his office (he prefers working on the dining table or couch). So, the next best thing was to transform it into a full-on dressing room!

And the whole thing was done on a major budget, like the rest of the place. The only thing bought full-price and new was the Ikea Mongstad floor mirror. Everything else was a hand-me-down, sale purchase, or thrift store find.

I mentioned a few days ago in the post about my back deck that I wanted the West Elm Jute Cube. Well, I went later that day to the downtown store and waited until they searched the stock room for one (even though I was convinced they'd be sold out - they're back-ordered online). To my delight, the girl helping me said they found one, and I'm SO glad I was able to get it. It works in this room, in my living room as an ottoman, and as a footrest or extra seat on my deck. Can you say versatile and easily transported? I can! Versatile and easily transported. You can't hear me, but I said it.

I showed you all yesterday that my vintage dresser was a thrift store makeover that took me forever and a day to actually complete due to a spray-paint mishap.

I bought the gold mirror and mint julep cup that is now holding my sunglasses at the same thrift store this past weekend.

Dresser, primer, and paint ..... $55
Gold mirror ..... $20
Mint julep cup ..... $4
White vase ..... $1 at Salvation Army
Collection of antique teacups ..... $15-$40 each
West Elm jewelry box ..... gift
Anthropologie yellow jewelry dish ..... gift
Perfumes ..... gifts

The shelves were a hand-me-down from Nate's cousin. I moved one set into the living room and kept this one in here to store my accessories, bags, and shoes (all of which I've kept the boxes for a la Carrie Bradshaw - they get dusty otherwise!).

I love shoes.

So that's that. Thoughts? Suggestions?

46 comments:

  1. I love the way you styled the dresser. The tea cups are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this room. You are so creative....wish I could do something like this. The jute cube was a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alaina,Im massively jealous :)
    It is gorgeous!! I love everything! cant even choose whats my favorite part, maybe the vintage chest, it's gorgeous and creates a lovely, WELL DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can not be serious?! This space is INCREDIBLE! You're so lucky. I love every single inch! Great job lady!!! Do you feel like a celebrity every morning? I would! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it love it love it! cannot believe you found that gold mirror for $20 - and how awesome is the huge ikea mirror! The rug....the teacups...everything!! well done!!
    sal x
    www.oncedailychic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha thank you so much everyone! I do love it. Makes getting ready that much more fun. Picking out shoes and jewelry is always my favorite part so I'm glad those are the pieces that are out in the open.

    Sal R-J: I know! When I saw it I snatched it up right away! It's not in perfect condition, but all glitches are on the back where you can't even see them! Works for me. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing!!! I cannot wait to meet you on Saturday.

    And be your friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. DYING right now. A) You have a dressing room?!?! B) The vintage tea cups are adorable. C) My friend/"cousin" was in a movie with Josh Jackson back in the day and said he is every bit as charming and intelligent as we imagine. Sigh.

    XXXX katie

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did such a great job! If I ever have an extra, small room in a future apartment, I will definitely be coming to you for dressing room tips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wild Alaina! It's unreal, seriously, it's incredible! You must be so happy...

    I can't believe you have this much space in your apartment. Boston needs to step it up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! Really inspiring me to turn one of our spare bedrooms into a room for me in the new house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. I love it. The tea cups are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your blog through Jess of MakeUnderMyLife - LOVE your dressing room! Off to explore more of your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. - Just came over from Carlee's blog.
    Holy Banana's this is one seriously cool wardrobe space! That monster Ikea mirror is totally fab, I don't how you got so much to fit inside, it looks huge...! Can we swap apartments please?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! And don't feel bad about using your extra room as a dressing room... we're moving from a three bedroom into who knows what in the San Francisco Bay Area... and I keep trying to convince the preppy boyfriend that we NEED 3 bedrooms because he needs an office (he works from home when he's not traveling), and I need an office to study and not have to look at his work mess - I haven't yet admitted, that my current office is also my dressing room and I don't want to give that up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love you dressing room. The big Ikea mirror looks great and balances the feminine touches. You'll be able to use everything in your current room in other places if you decide to change things around.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love this room! So stylish and inspiring!
    The dresser looks amazing with this golden mirror and vintage teacups!
    Greetings from Poland :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the dressing room reveal! i would love to get dressed there in the morning!! i'm a local and i'm wondering what thift store you haunt to find such fabulous pieces! do tell! :)

    great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the jewelry stored in the teacups!! I have a collection of milk glass vases that hold part of my jewelry collection. Keeps the pieces in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  21. There is nothing ridiculous about having a dressing room, no need to justify! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Let's face it...we all wish we had this space! LOVE what you've done. My only suggestion, add a rolling rack like Jenna Lyons fab space for all of your cool coats, pretty blouses and favorite dresses. Wouldn't that be fab?! Love your styling with the teacups. Adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Alaina, it looks amazing! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's amazing!. It just makes all your beautiful things look fabulous. I just wonder how many women are now redoing some extra space as a closet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have nothing to say except WOW! I love when you show pictures of your place. It's really inspiring for all of us on a budget.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks great. You may want to consider getting a garment rack if you need more hanging space or to me able to see your clothing and shoes all together in one space for more inspiration. I got mine at Ikea for $20!xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. It looks great! I love the last picture of the mirrors, rug and shoes and the way you styled the teacups! Where did you find the rug?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Posting on your amazing space tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i adore it! it's gorgeously feminine and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is amazing. Great space. I adore the tea cups! Your apartment is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  31. i love it! especially the teacups, what a great idea! i'm so jealous, i wish i had a space like this!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my gosh I looooove this space!!
    The wall color is my absolute fav, and the furniture and accessories could not have been paired more perfectly! You did a great job on that dresser, and I LOVE the little tea cups used for holding jewelry!

    FANTASTIC job, Alaina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sooo PRETTY. Great job! So where is the zebra print rug from?? Did I miss it?

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just love it!! It look so amazing. I especially love the tea cups thrown in the mix.

    www.bazaarofserendipity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just found your blog via Deliciously Organized and I love your dressing room! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  36. It looks amazing! I wish I had a corner of my apartment that I could turn into this. You're a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow - thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I can't tell you enough how great it is to hear that you all like it. I kept thinking about all your sweet comments when I was in there getting ready this morning. : )

    Alaina

    ReplyDelete
  38. I must say, it looks even better in person than it does in these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The teacups are GENIUS!!! Also what are the fantastic blue shoes with red accents on the end of the row in front of the mirror? It looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  40. You're an inspiration!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Stunning - I wish I had a second bedroom for this!

    ReplyDelete
  42. You did a fantastic job with this. I definitely don't think it's ridiculous; a room that small was crying out to be a dressing area, and probably there won't be too many times in your life when you have this opportunity. Seize it!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Best for Bride - Bridal Store for wedding dresses and bridal gowns offers bridesmaid dresses, mothers of the bride and evening dresses for sale and rent . Bridal shops in Mississauga

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin