Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Witches and pumpkins and pups - oh my!


Halloween Post DAY1
My brother and sister-in-law recently trekked across this beautiful country to the infamous town of Salem, Mass. Jessica, my SIL, is a bit of a Halloween fanatic (which I love about her as I too was raised in a house of ghost stories and witch movies - Hocus Pocus and Practical Magic being two faves), so this was on the top of her list of road-trip-across-America. I insisted they take photos of the homes, decorations, and anything else festive they saw. What a great Halloween post, right? I'm not sure any other town in America goes all out quite like Salem. I mean come on, this is the town of witches, people!

And this is "The Witch House"- love that it's black and the trees are perfectly orange
The House of Seven Gables upon which Nathaniel Hawthorne based the setting for The Scarlet Letter
Love the basic architecture of the town's homes, many of which date back to the 18th century - nearly every home has shutters, a beautiful entryway, and many are painted in fun, festive colors
the photo on the right has an original water spout from the 18th century - it's a tower of cups or funnels, one pouring into the other, to let the rain drain from the roof.
pretty sure the photo on the right is the house from Hocus Pocus (not the main house where the witches fly out of the cupola, but the home of the love interest female)
love these two homes: orange and purple. it doesn't much more halloween than that.
gaw-geous! just gaw-geous!
everyone dresses up in salem!
And if you're in the mood for a good Salem/witches/magic read given the holiday, I encourage you to check out The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe. The author "is a descendant of Elizabeth Proctor, who survived the Salem witch trials, and Elizabeth Howe, who did not."
Thanks, Ted and Jess!

Question for Comment: If you moved to Salem, what color would you paint your house?

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh.. ha! You had the same feeling as I today.. OLD HOUSES.. what is it about the fall and winter time and Old Houses.. I just got off of Realtor .. yep was scoping out the old homes.. :) enjoyed your post!
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those houses look like hotels, how large indeed. My favorite pic is of the pups of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun little fact: In the 1600's during the witch trials, many Puritans painted their house doors red to keep evil spirits away...some of the doors you see in the pictures posted are the originals!!
    Love the puppy picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if I moved to Salem, My home would be shades of brown and gray with a bright orange door. The door knocker would be some sort of witch.
    pve

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin