Thursday, October 1, 2009

LCY Listens: The Freight

This is my first - and quite possibly my last - music post. I know, I know. This is not a music blog. (Just a blog about everything else.) But it's too good to not share with all of you.

A few days ago, my indie-loving, music-obsessed sister (who scorns me for liking Taylor Swift) linked me to the group, The Freight - started by singer/songwriter Gregory Alan Isakov - and I have yet to close the browser because I've been listening to their music on a constant loop. It's warm folk music, a genre I normally don't listen to, and a lot of it has a melancholy tone, but it's relaxing to have on while working, studying, or even driving. Here are two beautifully written reviews that best sum it up:

"Gregory Alan Isakov...whose music is all tones of sepia and creeping warmth. He’s recommended for folks who appreciate warmly intelligent, rich songwriting like Jeffrey Foucault or Josh Ritter. I love the sly sincerity in his voice, like he knows a secret that’s making him smile." -I Am Fuel/Friends

"This Empty Northern Hemisphere—has quickly become one of my favorite singer-songwriter albums of the year. With lush, warm arrangements that create images of star-strewn skies and wave-rocked boats adrift at sea, the album spotlights Isakov's incredible artistic restraint and intuition." -About.com

Plus he looks like this.
And this. I mean, come onnnn! The puppy dog eyes. The scruff. The cheekbones. I hope my boyfriend knows he's getting a newsboy cap for Christmas.
Love a man who plays guitar. You're welcome, ladies.

So if you're looking for some new tunes to bop your head to, I highly recommend "Evelyn," followed by "That Moon Song" and "Big Black Car."

On another note, how awesome is the design of his website??? I love everything about it. There's so much to look at, from the quirky fonts and the old sepia photos - I explored every page just to see the different designs.

The Freight homepage


One of the coolest menu bars I've seen.

1 comment:

  1. Great post and Great artist! Bravo...ive been listening to him non-stop....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin