Monday, February 28, 2011

Best Dressed of the 2011 Oscars

The two shining stars of the red carpet were Jen Lindley - er, I mean, Michelle Williams - and Gwyneth Paltrow. Head to toe, these two nailed it, Williams in Chanel and Paltrow in Calvin Klein. The simple yet elegant silhouettes fall perfectly on their lean figures, and the iridescent textures looked fantastic on camera (better on screen than in these stills). But what really knocked these looks out of the park was the hair and make-up on both women. Their sleek blonde locks and dramatic eyes perfectly complimented their nude, shimmering gowns. Gwyneth's super-straight hair even framed the neckline of her gown. Love. Love. Love.

I also loved two of the most debated and even hated looks of the evening. Cate Blanchett stunned in this fashion-as-art Givenchy, and Scarlett Johansson turned heads in her curve-hugging Dolce and Gabbana gown. A post-divorce "F*ck you" dress, if you will. Again, part of why these looks worked was the impeccable hair and make-up. Cate's soft blonde bob was a simple accent to her fashion-forward gown, and ScarJo's sexy waves mirrored the vavavoom look of her lacy ensemble. I only wish I could get my hair to do that perfect scrunch.

There were plenty of others who I liked, but these four stood out the most. I'm going to forgo the "worst of" because in all honesty, all of these women are beautiful, and they'll face enough criticism elsewhere. Who were your favorites of the night?

photos via HuffPost

12 comments:

  1. I also loved Cate and Gwyneth's looks (especially Cate's hair!). My favorite though was easily Mila Kunis. I'm not usually big on lace and frills, but everything about her dress was perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Celine Dion really nailed it as well. Her entire look was flawless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought Michelle was the best dressed! She was made to wear Chanel. I like Mila Kunis as well, and thought Amy Adams looked gorgeous! I barely recognized Scarlett here... does her face look different??? Maybe it's just the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite was Cate, hands down. I also loved Mila and Amy and Sandra looked great too. I didn't like Scarlett's dress very much, the color was weird and it felt so matronly. But she still looked hot, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Gwyneth was such a shop-stopper. Old Hollywood glamor done for today. Michelle Williams was stunning, as well. I thought Mandy Moore looked better than ever too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cate Blanchett was my favorite!! so beautiful... i think it's one of my favorite dresses of all time. And Michelle Williams was next favorite. your other choices were also at the top of my list. Purple hues seemed to be quite popular! (Scarlett, Cate, Mila, Natalie, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love scarletts hair, but wasnt too impressed with the dress i feel like she wears similar gowns like that often. happy monday! xoxo jcd :: cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cate Blanchett was truly stunning. Really, most of the dresses this year were just gorgeous. So fun to watch this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched the Oscars last night from Paris until the wee hours of the night :)
    I thought that there were a lot of beautiful dresses my favorite one's are Cate's and Mila Kunis dresses. The Chanel dress of Michelle's was beautiful and perfect for photos but not as practical or easy to walk with and I even thought it was a bit ridiculous the way she walked and that's really a pity !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cate, Cate,Cate!!!! The dress, the hair, the makeup!!
    Total perfection!!!!!!! Gwen & mila hit it out of the
    ballpark as well!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Scarlet's dress (and hair) which everyone seemed to hate! I LOVED Cate's dress as a piece of art, but not for the Oscars.

    Michelle's dress was one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin