Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Today in NYC

Recognize this place? No? Think Meg Ryan, a copy of Pride and Prejudice, and a rose.

It's Cafe Lalo on the Upper West Side, the restaurant Kathleen Kelly (Ryan) and Joe Fox (Tom Hanks) meet for their blind date in You've Got Mail. Ahh! So exciting. Seeing as it's my favorite movie (along with P&P), I thought I'd do some stalking since I'm staying nearby. I found this great You've Got Mail tour, so despite the slippery sidewalks, I'm going to snoop around and see in person the places I've seen so many times on screen. First stop: a cappuccino at Cafe Lalo.

Then this evening I'll be at The Standard Hotel for a Williams-Sonoma event with the lovely Ashlina of The Decorista (who just moved to NYC) and Amy of ABCD Design. After that, a cab down to Soho for the Matchbook Magazine launch party at Coach. It's truly amazing what one can pack into two days of NYC.

How are all of you faring with this crazy weather? I know my poor friends and family in Chicago are pretty much shut in for the next 24 hours (at least). Fingers crossed my flight to New Orleans tomorrow isn't cancelled!

17 comments:

  1. sounds like an awesome couple of days in NY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Cafe Lalo. You must try their heavenly angel cake. So amazing. Enjoy your time in the city!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that place.
    Hope you can make it back home safely and with no delays. Crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how nice and I needed a sunny NY pic. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness, i'm so jealous! i harbor a small you've got mail obsession as well. plus going to the matchbook launch party?! doubly jealous! have fun! i'm going to go back to staring at the mounds of snow out my window ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I immediately recognized it from the first photo! That's so exciting!

    No doubt you're going to have an amazing time at the Matchbook party.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! I love that movie. Looks dreamier in your pics. :)Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds so exciting!! Good luck at those incredible events ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. im full of envy for your funfilled time in NYC. Good luck with your flight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the movie "You've Got Mail" it's a great movie. Have fun in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a lot of fun ~ enjoy the NYC time! Chicago was struck hard but to be honest, it's been a bit fun to have the city slow down and have an excuse to get out and play :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too am a huge fan of that movie! I'm most definitely jealous of this trip. Cheers to matchbook magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely recognized the cafe by the outside windows! I watch too much tv ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My absolute FAVORITE movie. So classic! Adding Cafe Lalo to the "must" list. Sounds like a great trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to live around the corner from there...it's one of my favorite cafes EVER!!! :))))))

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that movie, totally recognize it.
    Just discovered your blog, it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my... Your NYC posts are killing me softly this morning! I moved away from NYC 10 months ago, and used to live around the corner from Lalo! One time, fresh from our honeymoon, the Mr. and I stayed all night drinking Irish coffees and writing wedding thank you notes... I had completely forgotten about this until now, thanks for reviving a particularly special Manhattan memory... xo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin