Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Home as a Reflection of You

I am not sure if it's the chesterfield sofa, the rows of colorful shoes, the profusion of white, or the monogram A hanging in the living room, but this house puts a big smile on my face and has me longing for a complete revamp of my own home. The hodge podge of items in the living room exemplify a space that was not decorated in one fell swoop, but one that came together over time through the collecting of memorable items. Almost every item seems to be an investment piece: the leather couches and the industrial coffee table, the Persian rug and the Moroccan poufs, even the distressed lanterns and the art collection stacked on the floor. Often times people run out and buy everything simply to furnish their new house (guilty), and more often than not, it shows. Homes end up looking like pages out of a catalogue. This apartment illustrates the results of waiting and slowly collecting favorite pieces over time. By doing this, your home will be a better reflection of you, and not just whatever items were hot that season.

10 comments:

  1. SO True, Alaina. I just moved into a new place and I am trying my darnedest to be patient and allow things to come together. It's hard to not want to show it off right away!

    PS- love the mismatched plates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best home tour I've seen in a long time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with the rug in the living room and the Anthropologie-esque bowls stacked together! When I first glanced at the living room I swear I thought it was yours - it looks so much like you! Especially with the "A" on the wall :) Great pics!
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Persian rug really gives the lived in feeling you're talking about. I love this tour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great advice! My upcoming move in April has me overly eager for a completely different aesthetic in the new space. I need to remember to let the space evolve and to not just jump at my first inclinations.

    Love this tour and your blog! That chesterfield is also amazing. I am hoping to find one in navy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sofa! I like the white walls too but I think too much white would drive me batty in my own home.

    It is so hard when you have a million ideas in your head and want to see things finished, but making a house a home--and really yours--definitely takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so right! It's so hard to have the patience to take time decorating your home. Seriously though, when you really spend the time to make each piece personal it makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really, really love the mismatched bowls. I would never have thought to buy just one or two of something like that — I would think more in terms of sets. But this is so much more fun and works really well. Definitely something for me to file away for the future!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin