Thursday, February 3, 2011

LCY in NYC: Winter on the Upper West Side

I would like to dedicate this post to the man who invented waterproof fabric. You see, yesterday I spent the cold, wet afternoon sloshing through puddle after puddle on the Upper West Side, enjoying a self-guided tour of various locations from my favorite movie, You've Got Mail (upcoming post on that!). As you can see above, every sidewalk met the road with a huge, dirty, have-no-choice-but-to-lay-one-foot-smack-dab-in-the-middle-of-it puddle. Thanks to my waterproof UGG's - yes, all you fools who have the brown fabric style that meet one week of snow, soak up, and crumble - UGG also makes waterproof boots. And they are my best friends. Not one wet toe. Despite many, many slush puddles. Anyway, I had so much fun playing with my new camera, and capturing how beautiful New York City is despite overcast skies and rivers of dirty, melted snow.

It was such a good day, that at the end of it, I treated myself to a lil somethin' somethin'. A new winter coat. It's from a French company, Comptoir des Contonniers (Mothers and Daughters), and it was half off. And it had toggles. And it was the coolest shade of blue-green-grey. And it cinched at the waist in the most flattering of ways. AND they shipped it back to Chicago for me since I don't have a sliver of space to spare in my suitcase. It is fabulous, and I love it, and I love New York.

That is all.

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful collection of photos! Makes me long for NYC. I love the puddles and snow! Is that crazy!! Haha---and I also have UGG waterproof boots! LOVE THEM. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a link to your waterproof Uggs??? After a long trek with freezing soaked toes yesterday in my knockoffs, I'm ready for the real thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like such a delightful day! I'm glad you could enjoy yourself in the nasty weather. I'm looking forward to your You've Got Mail post! And that coat? SO pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice photos! Love the toggle coat too; and now I want a cappuccino...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to hear that they have a comptoir de corrionniers in the states, i used to shop there when i studied abroad in France

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love NY, too. And I loved looking at your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were in my neighborhood! Glad you enjoyed the area.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. what fabulous pictures! glad i found your blog - it's great.

    i'll definitely be back again soon. i'm your newest follower!!!

    til next time,
    cailen
    www.cailenascher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's my block! From another Chicagoan (currently living in NYC), I'm glad you're enjoying my temporary home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I feel like I was slogging through the streets myself! And veeeeery impressed that the Uggs are waterproof. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the upper west side! I lived there from 1987-1989....so very long ago! It has not changed that much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous photos. I miss NYC. Fingers crossed because there's a chance I'll get to go next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ahhh i love this post! i am also a huge fan of you've got mail... what a great movie.. and btw, the soundtrack is also great! i was also in NYC this past week for work and wow was i grateful that i packed my hunter wellies!! have fun in new orleans!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pictures! Sounds like you have had an awesome time in New York. I think it would be great to visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful post. Love the buildings, flowers, clothes oh and coffee....would love to get to NYC soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just arrived here tonight in the snow slush!! Your pictures makes it look a LOT better!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aren't random bursts of color the coolest thing in the winter? I can't wait to get back to NYC in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It may have been wet but it sounded like a pretty fun day....xv

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alaina, I love the jacket you purchased and until today had never heard of that brand. I live just outside NYC and was in a Bloomingdales today when I walked by your coat! They didn't have my size or I would have been tempted, but they did have a lovely grey lightweight coat that I grabbed. Like you said about yours, the cut and fit was just wonderful. So glad you mentioned this brand or I may have missed it! Thanks for encouraging my shopping ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I Just found your blog and I'm loving it- Here's to waterproof fabric!! Oh boy. I have been caught without said waterproof fabric in my west coast winter rains- I once had to walk a full mile in it- let just say I was aggresive with not wanting to pay for parking... :) ending up like a soaked cat and looking twice as ridiculous!!. Love your post!

    xo Jessica Rae
    {lovely ugly design}
    http://lovelyuglydesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin