Monday, February 14, 2011

LCY in NYC: You've Got Mail self-guided tour

Seeing as I stayed on the Upper West Side when I was in New York two weeks ago, I thought it would be a great opportunity to treat myself to a self-guided tour of some of the locations used in my favorite movie, You've Got Mail. I had remembered viewing this special feature on the DVD and was able to pull up the exact locations online. I didn't make it to the boat docks, the store front used for The Shop Around the Corner, or Riverside Park garden from the film's last scene.

"Don't cry, ShopGirl. Don't cry."
"I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly."

Horribly cheesy ending aside, this movie warms my heart like the giggle of a chubby baby or a frozen cheese cake sampler. And despite missing a few clinch locations, it was exciting, particularly seeing the intersection of Amsterdam and Broadway, where Joe's and Kathleen's paths cross in the opening scene as The Cranberries' Dreams plays in the background (scroll to the bottom if you want a music guided tour). "Ohhhh my liiiiife is changing every daaaay in every possible waaaaay!"

Location: 83rd and Broadway
Quote: "The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, nonfat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on Earth they are can - for only $2.95 - get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self. Tall! Decaf! Cappuccino!" - Joe Fox

Location: Corner of Amsterdam and Broadway, at 72nd Street
Memorable Quote: "Ya know what? The truth is that he was the one who started me thinking about writing." - Kathleen Kelly
"Mister.... 152 felony indictments?" - Joe Fox
"Mister 152 insights into my soul!" - Kathleen

Location: 2245 Broadway, between 80th and 81st Streets
Memorable Quote: "Knock knock." - Joe Fox
"Who's there?" - Rose**
"Orange." - Joe
"Orange who?" - Rose
"Orange you going to give us a break by zipping this credit card through the credit card machine? Come on. You can do it. Zip zip." - Joe
**I hope you've all realized that Rose is played by the same actress who is Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy.

Location: 201 W. 83rd Street, at Amsterdam
Memorable Quote (this entire scene is my favorite in the movie with a lot of great dialogue, but here are some of my favorites):
"Joe? Just call me Joe? As if you were one of those stupid 22-year-old girls with no last name, 'Hi, I'm Kimberly.' 'Hi, I'm Janice.' Don't they know you're supposed to have a last name? It's like there's an entire generation of cocktail waitresses." - Kathleen
"Look. I am not a 22-year-old cocktail waitress." - Joe

----
"You poor, sad multi-millionaire, I feel so sorry for you." - Kathleen

----
"So who is he, I wonder. Certainly not, I gather, the world's greatest living expert on Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, but somebody else entirely different." - Joe

Location: 2090 Broadway, at 72nd Street
Memorable Quote: "Today?" - Joe Fox
"Today." - Kathleen Kelly
"Wow." - Joe
"I know. In Riverside Park." - Kathleen
"Hmm... well that would mean he's a West Sider." - Joe
"Isn't that amazing? Maybe I've seen him and don't even know it." - Kathleen
"You could have seen him every day and not know it." - Joe
"It's very possible." - Kathleen

Location: 80th and Broadway
Memorable Quote: "Listen to this. Every night a truck pulls up to my neighborhood bagel place and pumps about a ton of flour into underground tanks. And then the air is filled with white dust which never seems to land. Why is that?"


For the rest of the tour locations, click here.

And because it's Valentine's Day, and I love Harry Nilsson's Somewhere Over the Rainbow:

15 comments:

  1. I love when people do ths- show the real life locations... all this makes me want to do is be in NYC...right... now!!!! Good finds and a delight to look at

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love this post! I now know what i'm doing this evening in celebration of valentine's day, and that includes forcing paul to watch this movie with me. Bravo! I need to take this tour when i'm in NY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Great post. And one of my all time favorite movies too. Cheesy Tom Hanks is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post put a huge smile on my face. This is also one of my favorite movies and favorite cities:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so exciting, i went on the sex and the city tour (twice.) and died of love both times. this looks equally brilliant!

    xo
    sami

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this! i want to go home, get on the couch and watch the movie asap (with an h&h bagel).

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing, thanks for sharing! By the way, I really love the font you used — what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so impressed with this! I love it. Makes me want to hop on a plane and head to NYC right now. I may have to settle for watching you've got mail. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this movie, it's one of my favs. If I had had more time in NYC I so would have visited these locations too. I love the dialogue, it just cracks me up. Whenever anyone calls me "Kimberly" I always think of that line about cocktail waitresses and cringe haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so crazy...I was just watching this movie for the 100th time the other night and I decided to click on the Special Features! It is by far my absolute favorite movie...ever! Love your post! Its MAGIC!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post, this is one of my fav movies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is a fun post. i sadly read the other day that the UWS H&H filed for bankruptcy. my personal fav is the one on the UES, which i know is owned by another family entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh...how fun! That is my favorite movie of all time. Just gives me the warm fuzzies every time I watch it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my all-time favorite movie. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin