Wednesday, February 9, 2011

LCY in NOLA: Walking the Streets


There are only two cities I have ever visited more than once: New York and New Orleans. Ok, fine, and Cancun, but that was in high school...

New York is an obvious destination to return to seeing as there is so much to do, restaurants to eat at, neighborhoods to walk through, friends to visit, shows to see, and events to attend. New Orleans, however, is a fraction of the size and really doesn't compare in the aforementioned attractions. What it does have is culture, history, architecture, street music, art, ghost stories, antiques, vampire tours, the bayou, alligators, fried seafood as far as the eye can see, beignets, jazz clubs, cobblestone sidewalks, the Garden District, nightlife (to say the least), and a people so passionate about their city, you can't help but want to rent an apartment and join them.

I walk the streets of New Orleans with stars in my eyes, snapping photos left and right at the aged store signs and iron balconies. Landscaped courtyards, or secret gardens as my friend Anna kept calling them, peek out from narrow alleys. The smell of powdered-sugared sweets lures you into one pastry shop after the next. The sounds of cellos and trombones dare you not to tap your toes, and the swing dancers provoke an applause by any man, woman, or child who pass. It is a magical city, unlike any other I've ever visited. I can't wait to go back next year.

10 comments:

  1. so so pretty and seem like you girls had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! I have been wanting to visit Nola for so long...and I think I'm going to in summer/fall! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love! I have been wanting to visit Nola for so long...and I think I'm going to in summer/fall! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Niice photos! Pastries & coffee...Yum:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've loved your travel posts this past week or so, Alaina. Thanks for sharing your snaps with us. Hope you are well. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks and sounds like you had a great time. Most cities don't hold my interest for long but I just can't get enough New Orleans. I've been there five times as an adult and that isn't nearly enough. I'd love to try living there for a while, although I'm a little concerned the allure would wear off. And with all that powdered sugar my clothes wouldn't fit for long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a blast you ladies must have had. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in New Orleans and I am so proud of the city. Your pix reminded me of how great it really is. We also have awesome thrift stores so if you are ever down here again, let me know and I will give you the scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. New Orleans is definitely one of my favorite cities! Love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. New York, is one of today's well-known destination when it comes to vacation, in there you can find a lot of cool and classy restaurants, fabulous boutiques and many more.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin