Saturday, December 19, 2009

Dear Alaina: parsons desk dilemna


Welcome to the first official edition of Dear Alaina... Kind of like Dear Abby but not. You ask the questions. I provide the best advice I can. Here goes...

A reader recently wrote in with the following question:
"Hi Alaina! I love your blog. I read it every morning with my coffee. I am strongly considering purchasing the parsons desk for my home office but am having a hard time envisioning how I would set up my computer on it. I have a newer iMac, so I don't need to worry about the PC tower, but will need to connect wires to the cable modem box and outlet. Any suggestions?"

Why yes!
You can either center the iMac or place it in one of the corners. While I prefer the former of the two choices, these parsons desks aren't very deep and iMacs have huge screens; so while I would suggest having it centered, it might end up that it's just too close to your face. Off-centering might be easier on your eyes.

When it comes to the cable modem box, I would either invest in a small cabinet or shelving unit to place next to the desk. That way you can house the modem, router, printer, anything else without taking away from the simple lines of the parsons desk - and keep the wires organized with a wire organizer like this. OR bite the bullet and invest in a wireless router so you don't need to connect your computer to anything but the electrical outlet (you can find these cheaper, I just love Apple). The beauty about iMacs is that whoever designed these beauties were absolute geniuses because only one wire comes out the back. I'd use the following two photos from my other parsons desk post as reference.


or you can refer to my own desk, even though it's not a parsons (single tear)

I hope this helps! If you decide to buy it, feel free to send pictures my way as a follow-up so we can all see what you did!

5 comments:

  1. I love this idea. You have the best tips and advise.
    Also, I was wondering what you and your mother have done to decorate for Christmas around the house.
    LCY Fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the great advise Alaina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good - I'm glad you found it helpful, Christine!

    LCY Fan: I'll post pictures Christmas day. My mom is hosting Christmas Eve dinner, so I'll take pictures of the Christmas decor then! And thank you for your kind words. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this! I have a new Parsons desk (Overstock student desk bargain!) and am still in the process of figuring out the layout of the iMac and the printer and desperately trying to find something small for office storage so the top stays as clear as possible. I am excited to have found your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin