Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Tulip Tables


As you all know, I have a new apartment to furnish and fortunately already have most of the main pieces. Something we're missing is a dining table and chairs seeing as my boyfriend and I normally ate at the coffee table in the last apartment. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of the options out there, but one item that keeps popping onto my radar is the famous tulip table. Originally designed by Finnish American designer Eero Saarinen in 1955 and currently available at Design Within Reach, the tulip table was designed to create more space in a room by eliminating table and chair legs. Mission accomplished, I'd say.

for $1543-$6683 depending on size and material
(shown here with extra white marble top)

And then there's the version I'm considering...
It's shown in the eating nook pictured above. Not too shabby
given the price point.


I love how versatile the design is. You can pair it with virtually any style chair, in any style room. I only wish the IKEA version was larger.
shown below with the original tulip armchairs
Again with the original tulip chairs, but a very different look.
Designer Jonathan Adler's dining room features a Saarinen tulip table
shown below with the Eames Molded Plywood chair
and here with contemporary Panton chairs
and below with Louise Ghost Armchairs

Which brings us to our poll... tell me! If you owned the iconic Saarinen Tulip Table, what chairs would you pair with it?
I will show you the chairs I'm considering tomorrow once you have all voted.

4 comments:

  1. I'm on the hunt for the real deal. I love all the photos you collected. I'm going to put an Ikea woven grass chair with mine, for a modern organic look. So, think good thoughts that I find mine right away!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these tables! You picked great images and I love the look of a room when the table is paired with more classic chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It won't let me vote! My favorite is the table with the bistro chairs in the green kitchen. Or the Ghost chairs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of a room when the table is paired with more classic chairs and tables!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin